Friday, February 22, 2013

Light in the Darkness

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
                                                                 
                                                                          John 8:12


I've spent a lot of time walking in darkness . . .

                        - the darkness of sin

                        - the darkness of my distorted thoughts

                        - the darkness of depression and despair

But in all my darkest times there has always been a light.

Sometimes the light is completely hidden for a time.  And sometimes it it is so faint that I can barely see it.

But I am learning more and more that even when I can't see it,  the Spirit within me knows it's there.

I am learning to hold on even during the darkest nights because I've seen over and over again that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it. (John 1:5)

Even in my deepest doubt and despair the light flickers in my darkened heart like a tiny pilot light that only God can see.

As God foretold in Isaiah about the coming Savior - a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.  (Isaiah 42:3)

I am learning to trust in the darkness because Jesus promises that whoever lives in the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God. (John 3:21)

I am learning that when I cling to His truth He will lead me back into the light of life for He is the light of the world.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have spent more than enough days of a life walking in darkness--and there have been times when I saw no light at all. But I think your right, that even in those pitch-black parts of a life, the Light of the World flickers somewhere deep and eventually leads us out of despair and back into a place where we can see and feel His Light. Your reference to John 1:5 is breathing comfort to me today: the darkness has not overcome it. Christ our Light cannot be overcome, and through Him alone, we are more than conquerors! May His Light shine brightly on you today, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments at my blog site, Sorry, that they seemed to be erased, Truth is comments must be approved by me before they are printed, so they were in limbo. I am thankful for your thoughts here, how dark the night and then how bright the light shines bringing us into DAY

    ReplyDelete